PublicSchoolWORKS Helps Districts Receiving E-Rate Funding Meet New CIPA Requirements
PublicSchoolWORKS — Thursday, March 22, 2012
Grade-appropriate Online Courses Educate Teachers And Students About Online Safety
Cincinnati, OH - March 22, 2012 -PublicSchoolWORKS, a Cincinnati-based company that offers the one and only comprehensive, fully-automated risk management system available for schools, is helping districts that receive E-Rate funding fulfill the new 2012 CIPA requirements by offering a series of courses specifically designed for teachers and students. As an amendment to the Communications Act of 1934, CIPA will now require school districts receiving E-Rate discounts to educate minors about appropriate online behavior, including interactions with other people on social networking sites and cyberbullying awareness and response.
"The new CIPA requirements for districts receiving E-Rate funding puts the onus on schools to ensure that they are in compliance. Our automated system provides both the content and record-keeping for schools to easily ensure and document that they are meeting the new requirements," said Tom Strasburger, vice president of PublicSchoolWORKS. "Our new CIPA courses provide schools with a way to educate students about appropriate online behavior, in addition to educating teachers and staff about online safety, including predators, cyber bullying, social networking, identity protection and online scams."
PublicSchoolWORKS' CIPA courses include:
- Student Use of Technology: Appropriate online behavior, social networking, cyberbullying - For educators and staff, it covers appropriate online behavior for students, online safety and mobile and wireless safety. In addition, this course helps educators initiate and lead classroom discussions on the use of technology and internet safety and addresses student questions and concerns.
- District Acceptable Use Policy Signoff for Staff - This course for educators is updated to ensure that staff understand the districts' policy for appropriate use of the internet and social media.
- Internet Safety (Gr. K-2) - For students to view as a group, it covers information about online predators, cyber bullying, internet safety, and protecting the students' identity.
- Internet Safety (Gr. 3-5) - For students to view as a group , it covers online predators, cyber bullying, social networking, identity protection, internet safety and other online behavior, such as peer-to-peer networks, internet etiquette and mobile internet safety.
- Internet Safety (Gr. 6-8) - For students to view as a group , it covers online predators, cyber bullying, social networking, identity protection, internet safety, online scams and other online behavior, such as peer-to-peer networks, internet etiquette, copyright and plagiarism issues, as well as mobile internet safety.
- Internet Safety (Gr. 9-12) - For students to view as a group, it covers online predators, cyber bullying, social networking, identity protection, internet safety, online scams, peer-to-peer networks, internet etiquette, copyright and plagiarism issues, mobile internet safety, the protection of personal information, use of chat rooms, and avoiding adult material.
In addition to the PublicSchoolWORKS CIPA courses, students and parents will have access to the Student Bullying Reporting System, a 24/7 hotline and anonymous reporting system which allows for the reporting of harmful behavior in a non-threatening environment and immediately notifies principals of behaviors or threats so that they can intervene before a situation escalates, and the CIPA Parent InfoCenter which provides information for parents to gain awareness of internet dangers and the steps needed to keep their children safe.
To learn more about PublicSchoolWORKS CIPA courses, visit the CIPA website or call 1-877-77WORKS
Since its founding in 2000, PublicSchoolWORKS has been committed to providing top-quality, practical and cost-effective solutions to the constantly changing environmental, health and safety requirements affecting the nation's educational systems. The company has gained an exemplary reputation for the innovation and technical superiority of its comprehensive and integrated safety and compliance management systems, which combine administrative software tools and resources to dramatically reduce the time and cost required to develop, implement, and sustain safety compliance programs. For more information visit us on the web at www.publicschoolworks.com.